TOKYO VR STARTUPS Offers Incubator Funding To Japnese VR/AR Startup Companies
Japan, Tokyo or Asian countries in general is another under served market when it comes to VR/AR/Immersive Technology focused incubation programs. In North American market, there are RIVER – Rothenberg Ventures, and Upload is also launching a VR/AR focused incubation program at San Francisco.
On January 12, Tokyo VR Startups ( TVS ) announced via a press release that it’s launching a Virtual Reality incubator with Gumi Inc. for Japan-based VR startup companies. Tokyo VR Startups is a Japanese and Tokyo-based VR community leader that hosts periodic VR events and meetups.
The incubation center is located at the Second floor, FtF building, 1-2 Nihonbashi Hakozaki-Cho, Chuo-Ku at the heart of Tokyo, Japan.
The 6-month incubation program will start from January to June 2016. Tokyo VR Startups and Gumi Inc. will provide dedicated mentorship and seed funding. The goal is to assist, provide professional support and guidance to selected Japanese VR companies to develop prototypes and bring them to worldwide market.
“With the rising demand for virtual reality technology across a wide variety of verticals and solutions, we believed it was the right time for us to support the advancement of this market by bringing together the financial and mentorship resources needed to accelerate open innovation in the Japanese technology industry. As such, we’ve brought together some of the leading minds in the industry to help Japanese VR upstarts expand globally, and we’re looking forward to the growth of this market in the coming years.” Said Hironao Kunimitsu, CEO of Gumi Inc. and Tokyo VR Startups.
Tokyo VR Startups Incubator Invited Industry Expert & Mentors
• Takahiko Akiyama, CEO at 4Dbrain Inc.
• Naoki Aoyagi, Senior Vice President at GREE, Inc.
• Eiji Araki, Vice President at GREE, Inc.
• Yoshiharu Gotanda, CEO and CTO at tri-Ace, Inc.
• Kazuyuki Hashimoto, Senior Director, Entertainment Technology at NVIDIA Japan
• Shigeo Maruyama, Director at Two 4 Seven, Inc., Former Chairman at Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. and Former CEO at Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.
• Shun Sasaki, CEO at historia Inc.
• Akihito Shoji, President and CEO at DELiGHTWORKS Inc.
• Yoichi Wada, Former CEO at SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD.
• Makoto Yamaguchi, Senior Executive Director of Content Creation and Distribution Department at Fuji Television Network, Inc.