Unity Technologies Supports iOS 11 and ARKit
“Provides Best-in-Class Development Experience to Unity’s Robust Community”
Unity Technologies (https://unity3d.com/), the creator of the world’s most popular creation engine that powers 2/3rds of all Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) gaming and interactive entertainment content, announced today support for iOS 11 and provides a best-in-class experience for ARKit development. Unity worked to ensure the latest features from iOS 11 and ARKit were supported, setting developers up for greater success. ARKit is now available to hundreds of millions of iPhone and iPad users. With ARKit, Unity developers can easily create AR experiences for iPhone and iPad, as well as add AR to existing apps available on the App Store.
“At Unity, we believe the world is a better place with more creators in it, and the launch of iOS 11 and ARKit means even more people will have the ability to create and enjoy engaging, accessible AR experiences,” said Ralph Hauwert, Director of Development for Platforms at Unity. “Supporting the latest and greatest tech ensures we can give our creators the confidence and tools to build and scale, while easily publishing across nearly any platform.”
Unity developers have been building immersive AR experiences through the Unity ARKit plugin since June 2017. A sample of made with Unity apps that utilize ARKit include:
- Pokemon Go by Niantic – now enhanced with ARKit, to bring Pokemon from their wildly popular mobile game, into the real world.
- IKEA Place – superimposes furniture into a room, allowing the user to visualize what a new purchase may look like.
- Walking Dead: Our World by Next Games – allows you to fight walkers wherever and whenever you feel like it with all your favorite characters from AMC’s The Walking Dead.
- MLB At Bat AR by MLB Advanced Media – spectators at a baseball game can point an iPhone at the live action and see player stats on the screen above the actual players.
- Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade by Pixel Toys – a new AR mode will allow players to watch Space Marine combat play out right in their living room.
- GNOG by KO_OP – a playful puzzle game about exploring monstrous virtual toys.
- CurioPets – a multiplayer AR pet simulator mobile game that launched today for the iPhone and iPad.
- Amon by Lykke Studios – was just announced and is a story about Amon, the God of Air, on his quest to connect a world of puzzling optical illusions.
- Mammoth Mini Golf by Ezone.com – brings a wacky caveman-themed world of mini golf wherever you are.
- ARQUA! by Cabbibo – an augmented reality aquarium creation tool.
There have also been some interesting ARKit experiments made with Unity such as TRIXI’s AR version of A-Ha’s “Take on Me” which brings to life the famed sketched music video in a new way. Anki’s 4th of July celebration, created by Wieden + Kennedy, showcases the imagination of beloved robot Cozmo.
To learn more about how to get started with ARKIT plugin for Unity, please read the Unity iOS 11 and ARKit blog post. Unity also plans to feature ARKit demo content at their upcoming developer conference Unite Austin on October 3-5, 2017.
Unity exists to democratize development, solve hard problems and enable success — three core values that are the driving forces of Unity’s adoption by millions of creators. Unity reaches more than 3 billion devices worldwide and was installed more than 16 billion times in 2016 alone.
About Unity Technologies
Unity Technologies is the creator of a flexible and high-performance end-to-end development platform used to create rich interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR experiences. Unity’s powerful graphics engine and full-featured editor serve as the foundation to develop beautiful games or apps and easily bring them to multiple platforms: mobile devices, home entertainment systems, personal computers, and embedded systems. Unity also offers solutions and services for creating games, boosting productivity, and connecting with audiences including Unity Ads, Unity Analytics, Unity Asset Store, Unity Cloud Build, Unity Collaborate, Unity Connect and Unity Certification. Unity Technologies serves millions of registered developers including large publishers, indie studios, students and hobbyists around the globe. For more information, visit www.unity3d.com and to see the latest games and experiences created in Unity, go to madewith.unity.com.