New ZEISS VR ONE VR Goggles
The ZEISS group is an international leader in the fields of optics and optoelectronics. The company has representatives in more than 40 countries and is headquartered in Oberkochen in Southwest Germany. Carl Zeiss AG is fully owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung ( Carl Zeiss Foundation ).
The Group’s products and services set standards. ZEISS has stood for innovative ideas, precision and quality for more than 160 years.
ZEISS VR ONE! VR ONE is a mobile Virtual Reality (VR) headset that works with smartphones featuring display sizes of between 4.7 and 5.2 inches.
There is no tab or control touch pad, the users just need to simply select an VR app from smartphone and plugin and play!
ZEISS VR ONE currently supports Samsung Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 6. Other model phone trays are available for 3D printing with a free CAD Download from ZEISS and other trays are also in the pipeline. See http://vrone.us/ for more details.
ZEISS VR ONE Headset Overview
- ZEISS VR ONE supports smartphones with a display size of between 4.7 and 5.2.
- Smartphone-specific trays guarantee an optimal positioning and thus excellent image quality.
- Thanks to the innovative optical design, there is no need to make mechanical adjustments to cater for different distances between the eyes from one user to the next.
- Eyeglass wearers can wear their eyeglasses under the ZEISS VR ONE.
- The smartphone camera can be used fully, e.g. for augmented reality apps.
- An Open Source SDK enables the simplified programming of VR & AR apps for smartphones.
- A public app contest demonstrates the wide range of app possibilities of VR ONE. See https://vronecontest.zeiss.com/ This contest was completed earlier this year and announcements on the winners will soon be forthcoming.
- ZEISS VR ONE and VR ONE trays are available from authorized dealers or in the ZEISS Online Shop starting at $120 or bundled with a tray at $129. http://vrone.us/
- Current product information is available on the product page http://zeissvrone.tumblr.com
With an open Software Development Kit (SDK) comprised of an intuitive operating concept, pre-distortion optimized for the ZEISS optics, and a solution for accelerated head-tracking, the ZEISS VR ONE SDK offers the VR developer a broad foundation for app development.
The head-tracking plug-in prepares the data of all available sensors of the smartphone and merges it using an intelligent algorithm. Thus the latency period can be reduced by half, making it acceptable for virtual reality apps.
The intuitive user design allows for continuous navigation from one app to the other as well as steering within an app without the need to take off the glasses.
ZEISS VR ONE App
Besides existing VR apps currently available on App Store and Google Play, three apps developed by ZEISS itself will be available for the product launch: the ZEISS VR ONE Media Launcher App enables users to select and start VR-compatible VR apps.
The ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App is a virtual movie theater where users can watch 3D movies – regardless of whether they are at home on the sofa or traveling on a train. The ZEISS VR ONE AR tech demo app uses the enclosed cube to show 3D objects and avatars. The smartphone camera automatically recognizes the background image of the cube and then projects a pre-defined 3D model onto it.
ZEISS VR ONE Media Launcher
The ZEISS VR ONE Media Launcher App is the central location for Virtual Reality (VR) apps on your smartphone. Discover the latest apps, especially for the ZEISS VR ONE virtual reality headset. Other apps are also compatible with the headset. Newly submitted VR apps will be added in the VR ONE Media Launcher app dynamically.
Apps marked as “Made for ZEISS VR ONE” in the VR ONE Media Launcher can be selected and started immediately, without having to remove the smartphone from the headset. This is enabled by the innovative and intuitive user interface of the ZEISS VR ONE Media Launcher.
Apps listed in the category “VR apps compatible with VR ONE” can be started within the Media Launcher app. Except iOS VR Apps, which does not support the URI scheme.
However, as “VR apps compatible with VR ONE” are not optimized for ZEISS VR ONE, the visual experience may not be optimal depending on the quality and distance of the center of both images of the VR app.
Apps that do not have or require UI Navigation can also be listed in the Media Launcher, e.g. the VR ONE AR App.
ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App
ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App enables users to view movies in an immersive environment. It’s like being in a 3D movie theater where you can see all around you while a video of your choice plays on the movie screen.
The ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App features a simple and intuitive user interface that you can open simply by looking at the doors of the movie theater.
Start your chosen video from your playlist, pause playback or switch back to the ZEISS Media App Launcher to start other apps without having to remove the smartphone from the VR headset. More information is available on ZEISS official Tumblr: http://zeissvrone.tumblr.com/post/104236142312/the-zeiss-vr-one-cinema-app-enables-you-to-enjoy
ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App Main Features
- Select your movies by simply moving your head
- Activate the on-screen menu by looking at the entrance doors
- The movie can be replayed/ paused at any time
- Center the movie screen for maximum comfort
- The ZEISS VR ONE Cinema App also supports 3D movies in side-by-side format.
- Movies in 720p resolution are best for watching in the VR ONE Cinema.
ZEISS VR ONE AR App
Experience augmented reality with the ZEISS VR ONE AR App. This tech demo app was designed for use with the ZEISS VR ONE and the paper AR cubes included in the delivery package. Each side of the AR cube has a different image that encapsulates a hidden Avatar.
The app was programmed so that the camera from the mobile phone will recognized the image and enable he corresponding 3D Avatar.
Image & Content Source: ZEISS and ZEISS Tumblr